Friday, March 6, 2009

Much needed Aqua Therapy

Today the temperature got up to 72 degrees. The sun shown high . The wind was a little of a bear, especially being on the oars alone. I spent some great Matthew time today. There is nothing better than being on the river. I needed some good aqua therapy today and I sure got it. I threw some buggers and streamers but I seemed only to find some moderate size rainbows. Despite the wind I decided to get out my Sage Light line, my dad built for me when I was just a kid. At one time it was a 9 foot 4 weight. Today I think it is about 8 foot 6 inches due to a few broken tips. I probably caught and released an easy 40 fish with it today. For a while it was almost every cast, at one point I even had a fish on both flies. There is something about that rod I love. The cork is worn, the once beautiful burgundy coat is dull and scratched and the epoxy over the thread around the guides is cracking but the rod will always remind me of my Dad and just how grateful I am that he instilled a passion for the river and God's country at such a young age. So today, even though it was windy as hell and the big fish just didn't seem to dig my chili, it was a fantastic day on the river. I've come to realize life just doesn't get much better then when its just you and the river...

1 comment:

  1. how neat that you still have that rod... i remember when he was working on building it for you.

    ReplyDelete