Saturday, April 11, 2009

fly fishing on the Little Red


Yesterday the water was high. I had two clients who were great sports with the challenges in front of us. Jacob fished hard. He was pretty committed to throwing some big flies all morning. We had some exciting follows and a few hits. After lunch we decided maybe we should go for some numbers so I rigged up a few big water nymph rigs and immediately Jacob caught two nice rainbows and Steve soon followed suit. Jacob landed a real football. The picture does it no justice. towards the end of the day I took the guys down to another streamer spot I love. I told Jacob I had a good feeling about a spot and try the big boy one more time. He made a few cast and a huge flash of gold turned. Jacob didn't see it but I did. I stood up and and pointed, right then the rod bowed over. It was a true toad, pushing 25 inches. It was a fish of a lifetime. The biggest trout he'd ever landed on a fly rod. We didn't pack in tons of number but some great moments and awesome bonding for him and his dad, and a successful catch and release of trout-zilla

No comments:

Post a Comment